Happy (Belated) Boss’s Day!
National Boss Day fell on a Sunday this year, so we’re celebrating today instead. Some may think it’s a holiday invented by Hallmark or a bunch of brownnosers, but regardless of how it came about, we can’t emphasize the importance of expressing gratitude enough. According to Harvard’s Shawn Achor, author of The Happiness Advantage, 75% of job success is based on optimism, social support and managing stress in a positive way. Boss’s Day, Secretary Day, and the like are all great holidays in building a thanking culture. Here are a few ways to say thank you:
- Verbal Communication: Stopping to say thank you is an effective and cost-free way to say
- Ring the Bell: We've found that incorporating a physical bell in the office and using it to salute those who have hit a milestone, personal victory, project completion or new client win provides a quick “Hooray” for the people involved.
- Personal Notes: A personal, handwritten note goes a long way in expressing gratitude.
- Significant Events: Once a month during our meetings, we acknowledge significant events that have occurred within our lives.
- Tokens of Appreciation: Whether it’s freshly baked cookies, flowers, or a small gift, these tokens symbolize your appreciation.
How will you show appreciation to your boss?